Inviting Foreign Visitors
Who needs a visa invitation from HSE University? Who can invite foreign visitors?
How can I obtain and send a visa invitation once it is ready?
How long does it take to issue an invitation?
How much does it cost to issue an invitation?
How can I obtain a visa invitation for a foreign visitor?
Please note that all procedures associated with visa and migration issues (e.g. issuing an invitation, visa extension and other state services) are carried out by the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs.
The Visa and Migration Support Centre shall not take any responsibility, if:
- The applicant has paid the invitation/visa fee using an incorrect payment slip;
- If money was not refunded because the terms for submitting documents for a visa extension and/or other purposes were violated, or if the organization accepting the documents has made changes and if the payments details were changed;
- The Ministry of Internal Affairs has declined to provide a given service.
Step 1. State the purpose of their visit to HSE University
If a foreign visitor plans to study or take part in an internship at HSE University, you must apply for an invitation for a regular student visa.
If a foreign visitor is coming to work at HSE University and is entitled to remuneration, you should apply for an invitation for a regular work visa.
If a foreign visitor plans to take part in seminars and conferences, engage in joint research projects, and/or negotiations with respect to future cooperation, conduct research and work in HSE’s archives, provide assistance in regards to drawing up curricula and syllabi, but shall not receive any remuneration from HSE University, you can apply for an invitation for a regular humanitarian visa.
Determine the period of their stay in Russia
An invitation for a regular student visa may be issued for a period of a valid visa from 15 to 90 calendar days .
An invitation for a regular work visa may be issued for a period of a valid visa from 7 to 90 calendar days.
An invitation for a regular humanitarian visa may be issued for a period of a valid visa from 5 days to 3 years.
Select the type of invitation
There are two types of invitations:invitations drawn up on an official HSE University letterhead and electronic invitations, which are submitted to the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs.
Please make sure to double check in advance in regards to which type of invitation is required by the relevant Embassy/Consulate.
1) VISA INVITATIONS ISSUED BY THE MIGRATION SECTION OF THE CENTRAL OFFICE OF THE RUSSIAN MINISTRY OF INTERNAL AFFAIRS IN MOSCOW:
- An invitation for a student visa (with an option for its further extension during the visitor's stay in Russia);
- An invitation for a work visa (with an option for further extension during the visitor's stay in Russia);
- An invitation for a humanitarian visa (cannot be further extended during the visitor's stay in Russia).
2) VISA INVITATIONS ON an official HSE university LETTERHEAD:
- An invitation for a humanitarian visa – available to citizens of EU member states(except for UK and Ireland), Japan, India, China, Iran and the USA (for 3 years, multiple-entry);
- An invitation for a student visa – available to all EU citizens (please clarify the list of countries in advance), except for citizens of the UK and Ireland.
Please be kindly informed that student visas and work visas can be extended in Russia if subject to submission of certain documents which may serve as a basis thereof. For student visas this would be a certificete of enrolment/extended tuition agreement; for work visas, this would be a current /extended employement contract.
Step 3. Prepare documents to apply for a visa invitation
In order to properly fill in an application, the host subdivision must:
1. Forward a questionnaire to the foreign visitor to be completed in English
Annex 1 (DOCX, 13 Кб)
2. Fill in an application in Russian, based on the details provided in the questionnaire, and have it signed by the host subdivision’s head:
3. Prepare attachments to the application:
- A confirmation of the payment of the state duty (if any); you can ask for a payment slip by sending an e-mail to email@example.com;
- A copy of the applicant's passport (the first page with the visitor's photograph and the passport’s expiry date).
! At least 4 blank two-page openings must be left in the visitor's passport.
The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least 18 months, starting from the visa's start date, if applying for a student or work visa.
The applicant’s passport must be valid for at least 6 months after the expiry date of the Russian visa, if applying for a humanitarian visa.
Other attachments to the application
IF a FOREIGN VISITOR PLANS TO APPLY FOR A VISA OUTSIDE OF HIS/HER HOME COUNTRY:
- Citizens from migration risk countries
(DOCX, 28 Кб)must provide a notarized translation of their visa issued in their country of residence (such a visa must be valid for at least 6 months after the expiry of their Russian visa) or their residence permit (their residence permit must be valid for at least 18 months after the Russian visa's start date).
IF A FOREIGN VISITOR PLANS TO APPLY FOR A MULTIPLE-ENTRY HUMANITARIAN VISA:
- A copy of their most recent Russian visa (other than a tourist visa).
Step 4. Submit documents to HSE University's Visa and Registration Centre
Please submit a scanned copy of the application in Russian signed by the subdivision head and the passport of the foreign visitor to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If any additional documents are required to issue a visa invitation (e.g., original payment slips, and/or notarized translations of documents with an apostille, etc.,), the HSE Visa and Registration Centre cannot initiate the visa invitation process until all necessary documents are submitted.
Step 5. Receive an e-mail that the invitation is ready
As soon as the visa invitation for the foreign visitor is ready ( if it's an invitation on an official HSE University letterhead), a manager from our centre will send you an e-mail with a scan of invitation. If necessary, you can collect the original of the invitation directly from our centre in Room 538, 20 Myasnitskaya street, Moscow.
If an invitation from the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs has been requested, you will receive an e-mail notification once it's ready. In this case, you don't need to collect any documents in person.
Please carefully check all details in the foreign visitor's invitation. Don't buy any tickets until you get the invitation.
What to check in the invitation:
When you receive a visa invitation, please check and confirm the following information:
- personal data (name, surname, date of birth, gender);
- passport information (number, valid until);
- permitted number of entries and purpose of entry;
- dates of possible entry and visa expiration (the dates must correspond with the visitor's planned stay in Russia).
HSE University campuses can request a mail delivery, if they coordinate the date and time with the centre in advance.
Step 6. Forward the invitation to a foreign visitor
You can select a courier service to deliver an original invitation (e.g., DHL).
If an original invitation is not required by the consulate, you may send a scanned copy via e-mail. Please coordinate these matters with the foreign visitor well in advance in line with the requirements set by the relevant consular section of the Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Have you spotted a typo?
Highlight it, click Ctrl+Enter and send us a message. Thank you for your help!
To be used only for spelling or punctuation mistakes.